Sister Parish Does Yellow!




I recently purchased a 1967 edition of House Beautiful, and guess whose room made the cover? None other than everybody's favorite Sister Parish. I love the clear shade of yellow on the walls and the upholstered armchair. The striking rug with the black and yellow Greek key motif is an Edward Fields design. And check out that custom door hardware designed by Sis herself. I think I could live in that room today! Here are a few more rooms that were chic back then and still look pretty good in 2007.


A glamorous dinner party designed by Ellen Lehman McCluskey. I certainly wish my dinner parties looked like this. The blue damask fabric is Scalamandre, the china, crystal and silver was from Tiffany & Co., and those gorgeous chairs were from Yale R. Burge.


My favorite design trick- a tented room! This one was designed by Thomas Britt. The fabric is a Brunschwig & Fils print, and the towels are Porthault.


I was a bit surprised to find out that Tony Duquette was the designer behind this room. A bit tame for Duquette, although I'm more familiar with Duquette's over the top creations. The rugs are antique Arabian tent hangings- how exotic!


This 18th c. Venetian mirror is very much in vogue today. Design by Melvin Dwork.

(All images from the October 1967 issue of House Beautiful)

No comments:

Post a Comment