Maison Charles Lamps




Today I'm writing about something that I know very little about- Maison Charles lamps. What I am certain about, though, is that they are some of the most stylish and witty lamps I've ever seen. In fact, I've included photos of Maison Charles lamps in some of my previous posts on lamps.

From what I have read on the web, La Maison Charles was founded in 1908 by Frenchman Ernest Charles. Working primarily with bronze, the Maison Charles artisans were known early on for their reproduction antique lighting and later, in the 1950s, for their fanciful lamps (like those below.) Based on what I've found on 1st dibs, I believe Maison Charles also created mirrors and small pieces of furniture.

The firm is still in existence today, and while their current offerings are quite glamorous, they don't compare to the lamps I've featured here. And if anybody has any additional information on Maison Charles (or needs to correct any information I have here), please do comment. I would very much like to know more about this illustrious design house.


Maison Charles "Corn on the Cob" lamp, c. 1950s, available at Deco Dame


Maison Charles "Corn on the Cob" lamp available at Deco Dame


Yes, it's the ubiquitous coral, but this is still a neat lamp. Maison Charles Coral lamp, c. 1960s, from 1st dibs


Maison Charles "Sunflower" lamp from Fleur

Image at top: Pineapple lamps by Maison Charles, c. 1955, available at Thomas Brillet

No comments:

Post a Comment